Finding the IP Address for Another Computer in Windows XP/Vista/7
Time to Complete (in minutes): 5
- How can I find the IP address for another computer in Windows XP/Vista/7?
To find another computer's IP address:
- Important: You must know the full computer name of the computer for which you want to find the IP address.
- If the computer for which you are trying to find the IP address uses a DHCP connection, keep in mind that the IP address will change on a regular basis.
- Connect to the Internet.
- Click the Start button.
- Start the Run utility.
- In Windows XP, select Run.
- In Windows Vista/7:
- Select All Programs.
- Select Accessories.
- Select Run.
- In the Open: text box, type: cmd
- Click OK.
- Ping the computer for which you want to find the IP address.
- Press the Enter key.
- Locate the IP address in the results of your ping session.
- Close the command prompt window.