Migrating Your Exchange Email to VT Google Apps Mail in Outlook 2003/2007/2010
Time to Complete (in minutes): 30
- How do I migrate email from my Exchange account to my VT Google Apps Mail account in Outlook 2003/2007/2010?
- Disable your email forwarding. For instructions, see Enabling or Disabling Forwarding from Your VT Google Apps Mail Account.
- Create a backup Personal Folder File for your entire Exchange account. For instructions, see Backing Up Data to a Personal Folder File (.pst) in Outlook 2003/2007/2010(http://answers.vt.edu/kb/entry/1131/) and, for step 6, select your top-level Exchange account.
- Close Microsoft Outlook.
- Use the Google Apps Migration for Microsoft Outlook tool to migrate your PST file.
- Go to the Google Apps Migration for Microsoft Outlook(https://tools.google.com/dlpage/outlookmigration/) Web page.
- Click the Download Migration Tool button.
- Save the file to your desktop.
- On your desktop, double-click the OutlookMigrationSetup icon.
- In Windows XP, click OK.
- If prompted, click the Run button.
- If prompted by the User Account Control window:
- In Windows Vista, click the Continue button.
- In Windows 7, click the Yes button.
- When prompted, in the Email address: text box, type: [Your PID]@vt.edu
Replace [Your PID] with your PID.
- Select the Yes, I have a password: radio button.
- In the Yes, I have a password: text box, type your Google password.
- Click the Continue button.
- From the Select a Microsoft Outlook user profile or PST files to migrate drop-down list, select From PST File(s).
- Navigate to and select the PST file you created earlier.
- Click the Open button.
- Click Next.
- From the Select the data you wish to migrate check box, place a check in the check box corresponding to the data that you want to migrate.
- Click the Migrate button.
- If you your PST file is password protected:
- In the Password text box, type the PST file password.
- Click OK.
Note: You may have to do this multiple times.
- Once the migration completes, click OK.
- Click the Close button.
Note: If you chose to migrate your entire Exchange account, then multiple folders will appear in VT Google Apps Mail with names that have the following pattern: [Name of PST File].pst/[Name of Exchange Folder] where [Name of PST File] will be replaced with the name of the PST file you backed up and [Name of Exchange Folder] will be replaced with the name of the Exchange folder that was migrated.
- If you want to move all your migrated Exchange mail to your VT Google Apps Mail Inbox, see How to Move Email Messages in VT Google Apps Mail(http://answers.vt.edu/kb/entry/3771/).