Connecting a Windows Mobile Device to the VT-Wireless Wireless Network with Certificates
Time to Complete (in minutes): 30
- How do I connect my Windows Mobile device to the VT-Wireless wireless network with certificates?
To connect a Windows Mobile device to the VT-Wireless wireless network:
- Important: While connecting with certificates is still possible, users are highly encouraged to connect to VT-Wireless using their PID and network password. For instructions, see Connecting a Windows Mobile Device to the VT-Wireless Wireless Network (http://answers.vt.edu/kb/entry/3451).
- For Virginia Tech students, current registration for Virginia Tech wireless services using COLA ("https://cola.cns.vt.edu/servlets/logon") is required to access the VT-Wireless wireless network.
- On your computer, create and download a personal network access certificate.
- Go to the Login to NetCert via CAS (https://netcert.cns.vt.edu/) Web page.
- In the Username text box, type your PID.
- In the Password text box, type your PID password.
- Click the Login button.
- In the Label for certificate: text box, type a name for your certificate.
- Click the Generate Certificate button.
- To download the certificate, follow the instructions on the Web page containing your personal network access certificate password.
Important: Write down this password exactly as it is displayed. You will need it to install the certificate.
- Send an email to yourself with the certificate attached.
- Using your Windows Mobile device, retrieve the message with the certificate attached.
- Download the certificate onto your device.
- On the device, tap Start.
- Tap File Explorer.
- Navigate to the location where you saved the certificate (.cer) file.
- Open the certificate file.
- When prompted to install the certificate, tap Yes.
Note: During the installation process, you will need to enter the certificate password that you wrote down.
- After the certificate is installed, tap Start.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Connections.
- Tap Wifi Prefs.
- Tap Scan for wifi networks.
- Tap VT-Wireless.
- Tap Next.
- From the Authentication Types drop-down list, select WPA2.
- From the Encryption Type drop-down list, select AES.
- Place a check in the The key is automatically provided check box.
- Tap Next.
- Place a check in the Use IEEE 802.1x network access control check box.
- For EAP Type, choose Smart Card or Certificate.
- Tap Finish.