Connecting to the VT-Wireless Wireless Network Using Android 2.x with Certificates
Time to Complete (in minutes): 15
- How do I connect to the VT-Wireless wireless network using my Android 2.x device with certificates?
To connect to the VT-Wireless wireless network on an Android 2.x device:
- Important: Connecting to VT-Wireless with certificates is still possible, but users are highly encouraged to connect to VT-Wireless using their PID and network password. For more information, see Connecting to the VT-Wireless Wireless Network Using Android 2.x (http://answers.vt.edu/kb/entry/3538/).
- For Virginia Tech students, current registration for Virginia Tech wireless services using COLA (https://cola.cns.vt.edu/servlets/logon) is required to access the VT-Wireless wireless network.
- Create and download a personal network access certificate.
- Go to the Login to NetCert via CAS (https://netcert.cns.vt.edu/) Web page.
- In the Username text box, type your PID.
- In the Password text box, type your PID password.
- Click the Login button.
- In the Label for certificate: text box, type a name you want for the certificate.
- Click the Generate Certificate button.
- To download the certificate, follow the instructions on the CNS page containing your personal network access certificate password.
Important: Write down this password exactly as it is displayed. You will need the password to install the certificate.
- In the Extract from PKCS12 Keystore text box, type your personal network access certificate password.
- Tap OK.
- In the Certificate name: text box, type a name for the certificate. You will use this name later to identify the certificate.
- Tap OK.
Note: You may be prompted to create a storage password for your phone.
- Connect to the VT-Wireless wireless network.
- From the Home screen, tap the Menu icon.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Wireless & networks.
- Verify that the Wi-Fi check box is checked.
- Tap Wi-Fi settings.
- Tap VT-Wireless.
- From the EAP method drop-down list, select TLS.
- From the Phase 2 authentication drop-down list, select None.
- From the CA certificate drop-down list, select N/A.
- From the User certificate drop-down list, select the name you chose for the certificate.
- In the Identity text box, type your PID.
- If it is not already cleared, clear the Anonymous identity text box.
- If it is not already cleared, clear the Wireless password text box.
- Tap Connect.