Connecting to the VT-Wireless Wireless Network in Mac OS X v10.6 with Certificates
Time to Complete (in minutes): 60
- How do I connect to the VT-Wireless wireless network in Mac OS X v10.6 with certificates?
To connect to the VT-Wireless wireless network in Mac OS X v10.6:
- Important: While connecting with certificates is still possible users are highly encouraged to connect to VT-Wireless using their PID and network password. For more information, see Connecting to the VT-Wireless Wireless Network in Mac OS X v10.6 (http://answers.vt.edu/kb/entry/3705).
- For Virginia Tech students, current registration for Virginia Tech wireless services using COLA (https://cola.cns.vt.edu/servlets/logon) is required to access the VT-Wireless wireless network.
- Create and download a personal network access certificate.
- Go to the Login to NetCert via CAS (https://netcert.cns.vt.edu/) Web page.
- In the Username text box, type your PID.
- In the Password text box, type your PID password.
- Click the Login button.
- In the Label for certificate: text box, type a name for your certificate.
- Click the Generate Certificate button.
Write down the personal network access certificate password exactly as it is displayed. You will need it to install the certificate.
- Click the Download the certificate link.
- Save the file to your desktop.
- Install the personal network access certificate on your computer.
- If you already have a certificate that is expiring or has expired, delete your old certificate before installing the new one. For instructions, see Deleting VT-Wireless Certificates in Mac OS X v10.5/10.6 (http://answers.vt.edu/kb/entry/3514/).
- Double-click the certificate that you downloaded.
- Follow the prompts to install the certificate.
- An Enter the password for "[NetCert Filename]": window will open.
[NetCert Filename] will be replaced with the filename of the NetCert you downloaded.
- In the Password: text box, type your personal network access certificate password.
- Click OK.
- Configure your computer's wireless settings to access the VT-Wireless wireless network.
- Click the airport menu bar icon.
- From the drop-down list, select VT-Wireless.
- In the window asking for a password for VT-Wireless:
- Verify that User Name text box is cleared.
- Verify that the Password text box is cleared.
- If it is not already selected, from the 802.1X drop-down list, select Automatic.
- Click OK.
Note: If the connection times out, you may have to click OK multiple times.
- Click the Always Allow button.
- In the Verify Certificate window:
- Click the Show Certificate button.
- Place a check in the Always trust "VT-Wireless.cns.vt.edu" check box.
- Click the Continue button.
- In the authentication window:
- In the Name: text box, type the name of an account on your computer that holds administrator privileges.
- In the Password: text box, type the password for the administrative account.
- Click OK.
- The computer should now be connected to VT-Wireless.