Connecting to the VT-Wireless Wireless Network in Mac OS X v10.7/10.8
Time to Complete (in minutes): 10
- How do I connect to the VT-Wireless wireless network in Mac OS X v10.7/10.8?
To connect to VT Wireless:
- For Virginia Tech students, current registration for Virginia Tech wireless services using COLA (https://cola.cns.vt.edu/servlets/logon) is required to access the VT-Wireless wireless network.
- In Mac OS X v10.8, you must connect manually. For instructions, see Manually Connecting to the VT-Wireless Wireless Network Using a Network Password in Mac OS X v10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8 (http://answers.vt.edu/kb/entry/3779/).
- In Mac OS X v10.7:
- If you have not already done so, create a network password. For instructions, see Creating a Network Password (http://answers.vt.edu/kb/entry/3765/).
- If you have previously connected to VT-Wireless by downloading and installing certificates, delete all certificates. For instructions, see Deleting VT-Wireless Certificates in Mac OS X v10.5/10.6/10.7 (http://answers.vt.edu/kb/entry/3514).
- Run the script to configure your wireless settings.
- Download the Mac VT-Wireless .zip file.
- Save the VT-Wireless script file to your desktop.
- Disconnect from all wireless networks.
- In the menu bar, on the right, click the airport icon.
- From the drop-down list, select Turn Wi-Fi Off.
- On your desktop, double-click the VT-Wireless.zip icon.
- On your desktop, double-click the VT-Wireless script icon.
- If prompted about opening the file, click the Open button.
- In the VT-Wireless setup window, click OK.
Note: If the VT-Wireless setup window does not automatically appear, on the dock, click the bouncing Finder icon.
- In the authentication window:
- In the Name: text box, type the name of an administrator account.
- In the Password: text box, type the password of the administrator account.
- Click OK.
- In the Select a certificate or enter a name and password for network VT-Wireless window:
- In the Account Name: text box, type your PID.
- In the Password: text box, type your network password.
- Click OK.
- If the Verify certificate window appears, click the Continue button.
- After the setup completes, click OK.
- When prompted to create a network password, click the NO button.