Allowing a Person to Connect to Your Computer Using Remote Assistance in Windows Vista/7
Time to Complete (in minutes): 60
- How do I allow a person to connect to my computer using Remote Assistance in Windows Vista/7?
To allow a person to connect to your computer remotely:
- Caution: The use of this software may allow a person to have complete control of your computer and cause unwanted effects.
- Important: You must configure your firewall to allow a connection with Remote Assistance.
- Click the Start button.
- Select All Programs.
- Select Maintenance.
- Select Windows Remote Assistance.
- Click Invite someone you trust to help you.
- Depending on the type of email client you use:
- If you use a Web-based email client, such as WebMail:
- Click Save this invitation as a file.
- Set a password, and save the file to your desktop.
- In Windows Vista:
- Click the Browse... button.
- Select your desktop as the destination.
- In the File name: text box, type a name for the saved invitation.
- Click the Save button.
- In the Password (at least 6 characters): text box, type a password with 6 characters or more.
- In the Confirm the password: text box, retype the password.
- Click the Finish button.
- In Windows 7:
- Save the file to your desktop.
- A window will appear that contains a password. You must share this password with the person helping you.
- In your Web-based email client, send the invitation file you saved as an attachment to the person helping you.
Note: The name of the Remote Assistance file will be:
- In Vista, RATicket.MsRcIncident.
- In 7, Invitation.msrcIncident.
- If you use a desktop email client, such as Outlook:
- Click Use e-mail to send an invitation.
- In Vista:
- In the Password (at least 6 characters): text box, type a password with more than 6 characters.
- In the Retype the password: text box, retype the password.
- Click Next.
- Your desktop email client will open a window with a partially composed message. Address the message to the person whom you want to help you.
- Send the email message.
- In 7, a window will appear that contains a password. Share this password with the person you are inviting to help you.
- To verify that the email message was sent:
- Start your email client.
- In the Sent Items folder, look for the message.
- After the person has accepted the invitation, a window will appear asking if you want to let the person connect to your computer.
- Click the Yes button.