Registering Online for Wireless LAN Service
Time to Complete (in minutes): 10
- How do I sign up online for wireless Internet access at Virginia Tech?
- Follow the appropriate steps depending on whether you are faculty and staff or a student.
- Faculty and staff cannot register online. Instead, you must submit an Interdepartmental Communications Request for departmental orders or a Non-Student Private Use Only Registration Form for personal orders. For more information, go to the Communications Network Services Web page, and see the Faculty/Staff Registration section.
- Students may register online using Communications Network Services' (CNS) Customer OnLine Access (COLA).
- Go to the COLA page.
- If you are using your laptop in an on-campus building with wireless access:
- Start your Web browser.
- Click the Registered link.
- Click the Customer OnLine Access (COLA) Website link.
- If you are in an on-campus building that does not have wireless access (such as a residence hall), you do not have your laptop with you, or you do not have off-campus access to the Internet:
- Go to a computer that has an Internet connection.
- Start a Web browser.
- Go to the VT-CNS COLA Applications Menu (https://cola.cns.v Web page.
For a list of on-campus buildings that have wireless LAN access, refer to Campus Coverage (http://www.cns.vt.edu/data_wirelessCoverage.html)
- In the PID or Guest ID: text box, type your PID.
- In the Password: text box, type your PID password.
- Click the Logon button.
- On the right side, click the Activate Wireless Lan link.
- In the Start Date text box, select the date you want your service to start.
- In the End Date text box, select the date you want your service to end.
Note: If you do not have a specific date you want your service to end, leave the End Date text box blank.
- Click the Activate button.
- Wireless access is not granted immediately; wait 5-10 minutes before attempting to log on to the wireless network.
For more information, such as hardware requirements and configuration instructions, refer to the Wireless Campus Network
Web page (http://www.computing.vt.edu/content/wireless-campus-network)