Downloading and Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection for Windows XP/Vista/7 and Windows 2003/2008 Server
Time to Complete (in minutes): 30
- How do I install Symantec Endpoint Protection in Windows XP/Vista/7 and Windows 2003/2008 Server?
To install Symantec Endpoint Protection:
- Caution: Close any open programs before proceeding with these instructions. Failure to do so could result in problems with this installation and other programs on your computer.
- Important: You can upgrade from Symantec AntiVirus 10.0 Corporate Edition without having to uninstall the program. However, if you have any other version of antivirus software installed, including Norton AntiVirus, you will need to uninstall it before continuing.
- You must be logged on to Windows with an account with computer administrator privileges.
- Set your Internet browser to save downloaded files to the desktop.
- Go to the antivirus.vt.edu downloads page (http://antivirus.vt.edu/download/).
Important: This Symantec download is available for use at no charge for current Virginia Tech students, faculty, staff, and retirees only.
- In the PID: text box, type your Virginia Tech PID.
- In the Password: text box, type your PID password.
- Click the logon button.
- In the blue box, click the Download link.
- After the file has finished downloading, double-click the installer.
- If you downloaded the 32-bit version, on your desktop, double-click the vtsep1201ru1.exe file.
- If you downloaded the 64-bit version, on your desktop, double-click the vtsep1201ru1x64.exe file.
- If prompted by a notification window:
- In Windows XP, click the Run button.
- In Windows Vista, click the Allow button.
- In Windows 7, click the Yes button.
- The installer will automatically run. When it finishes, click OK.