Time to Complete (in minutes): 2
- How do I display or hide file extensions for known file types in Windows?
To view or hide file extensions:
These instructions, or part(s) of them, are out of date and no longer supported by 4Help. For more information, see Currently Supported Versions
- Navigate to Folder Options.
- In XP/Vista/7:
- Click the Start button.
- Select Control Panel.
- View the appearance options.
- In XP, click the Appearance and Themes link.
- In Vista/7, click the Appearance and Personalization link.
- Click the Folder Options link.
- In 8:
- On the Start screen, type: folder
- In the right column, click the Settings icon.
- Click the Folder Options tile.
- Select the View tab.
- Choose to display or hide file extensions:
- To hide known extensions, place a check in the Hide extensions for known file types check box.
- To display known extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box.
- Click OK.
- Close all windows.