Compressing a Video File with iMovie HD in Mac OS X v10.4 for Viewing on the Web
Time to Complete (in minutes): 60
- How do I compress a video file using iMovie HD in Mac OS X v10.4 so I can put it on my Web page?
These instructions, or part(s) of them, are out of date and no longer supported by 4Help. For more information, see Currently Supported Versions
To compress a video file:
The following instructions are designed to help you compress files using basic compression techniques. If you want to compress files using advanced compression techniques, contact the Virginia Tech InnovationSpace (http://www.is.vt.edu/)
to schedule a consultation at no charge.
- Start iMovie HD.
- From the File drop-down list, select New....
- In the Project: text box, type a name for your project.
- From the Where: drop-down list, select where to save the file.
- Click the Create button.
- From the File drop-down list, select Import....
- Select the video file you want to compress.
- Click the Open button.
- From the File drop-down list, select Export....
- Click the QuickTime icon.
- From the Compress movie for: drop-down list, select Email or Web.
- The Email option outputs the smallest file size but retains only fair to poor video quality.
- The Web option outputs a slightly larger file size and retains good to fair video quality.
- Click the Share button.
- Click the Save button.