Time to Complete (in minutes): 10
- How can I erase a writable CD or DVD in order to re-record it in Mac OS X?
To erase a writable disc:
These instructions, or part(s) of them, are out of date and no longer supported by 4Help. For more information, see Currently Supported Versions
- Insert the disc into the optical drive of your computer.
- Start Finder.
- From the Go drop-down list, select Applications.
- Double-click the Utilities folder icon.
- Double-click the Disk Utility icon.
- In the left pane, select the writable disc.
- In v10.4, select the Erase tab.
- Set how thoroughly to erase the disc.
- In v10.4:
- To quickly erase the disc, place a check in the Quick Erase check box.
- To more thoroughly erase the disc, clear the Quick Erase check box.
- In v10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8:
- To quickly erase the disc, select the Quickly radio button.
- To more thoroughly erase the disc, select the Completely radio button.
Note: If you choose Quick Erase or Quickly, then Disk Utility will prepare the disc so that you can write over the existing data, but it doesn't actually erase the data. This takes less time than a complete erase.
- Click the Erase button.
Note: Some types of CD and DVD discs may become unusable after being erased multiple times.