Using the Immunize Feature in Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6.2 for Windows XP/Vista/7
Time to Complete (in minutes): 3
- How do I use the immunize feature in Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6.2 for Windows XP/Vista/7?
Regular use of spyware detection tools like Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware will rid your computer of malicious programs that are silently downloaded when you browse the Web. Spybot's Immunize feature provides extra security by preventing spyware programs from being installed in the first place.
Note: In order for the Immunization feature to work properly, all Web browsers must be closed. You should print or write down these directions on paper for reference.
To enable the Immunize feature for Windows XP/Vista/7:
- Start Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6.2.
- Click the Start button.
- Select All Programs.
- Select the Spybot - Search & Destroy folder.
Note: If Ad-Aware is installed on your computer, an information window may pop up. If it does, click OK.
- In Windows XP, select Spybot - Search & Destroy.
- In Windows Vista/7, run Spybot Search & Destroy as an administrator.
- Right-click Spybot - Search & Destroy.
- From the drop-down list, select Run as administrator.
- In Vista, click the Continue button.
- In 7, click the Yes button.
- If prompted by a Legal stuff window, click OK.
- If this is the first time that Spybot has been run since installation:
- If you want to create a registry back up, do so by following the prompts.
- Click Next.
- Click the Start using the program button.
- Update your spyware definitions. For detailed instructions, refer to Downloading and Installing the Latest Definitions for Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6.2 for Windows XP/Vista/7 (http://answers.vt.edu/kb/entry/2457/).
Important: New spyware programs are created every day. In order to remove as much malicious software as possible, you must update the spyware definitions frequently.
- In the left menu column, click the Immunize icon.
- When available, above Apply passive protection, click the Immunize button.