Preventing Email Messages from Filling Your Inbox While You Are Away from Your Computer
Time to Complete (in minutes): 3
- I will be away from my computer for a long period of time. What can I do to prevent email messages from filling my inbox?
There are several options for preventing email messages from filling your inbox while you are away.
- Filter unwanted email messages into a junk folder. For more information and detailed instructions, refer to Manage Unwanted Email (http://www.computing.vt.edu/content/unwanted-email-virginia-tech#steps).
- Manage your LISTSERV list messages.
- Temporarily stop list messages. For detailed instructions, refer to Temporarily Stopping LISTSERV List Messages (http://answers.vt.edu/kb/entry/758/).
- If you do not want to temporarily stop list messages, create a filter to move them to a separate folder. For instructions, refer to your email client's documentation.
- Create an automatic reply message in your email client. This will not stop people from sending you e-mail messages while you are away, but it may reduce the amount of email messages you receive because some people will opt to not send you any more email messages until you return. For detailed instructions, refer to the appropriate article below.